Advantages and Disadvantages of Eportfolio Implementation in Primary Education
The European Educational Researcher, Volume 2, Issue 1, 2019, pp. 1-15
OPEN ACCESS VIEWS: 633 DOWNLOADS: 626 Publication date: 15 Feb 2019
OPEN ACCESS VIEWS: 633 DOWNLOADS: 626 Publication date: 15 Feb 2019
The research presented in this article attempts to capture the views of teachers of elementary education about the advantages, disadvantages, difficulties and obstacles in the application of the portal as a rating and self-evaluation tool by the students. The survey, which constitutes the second part of a major research within the context of master thesis, was conducted in the second semester of 2016-2017 school year using anonymous written and electronic questionnaires, filled in by 215 elementary education teachers of all specialties from the first educational area of Athens. Most respondents are cautious about the benefits of using eportfolio, drawing attention to caution, lack of culture as barriers to its implementation, as well as basic problems such as lack of appropriate classroom infrastructure and the absense of eportfolio-related training.
Eportfolio, Student assessment, Advantages of Eportfolio, Disadvantages of Eportfolio
Haralabous, A., & Darra, M. (2019). Advantages and Disadvantages of Eportfolio Implementation in Primary Education. The European Educational Researcher, 2(1), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.31757/euer.211
- Abrami, P. & Barrett, H. (2005). Directions for research and development on electronic portfolios. Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology, 31(3), 1-15.
- Barrett, H. & Knezek, D. (2003). Eportfolios: Issues in assessment, accountability and preservice teacher preparation. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Barrett, H. C. (2007). Researching electronic portfolios and learner engagement: The REFLECT initiative. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 50(6), 436-449. https://doi.org/10.1598/JAAL.50.6.2.
- Barrtlett, A., Sherry, A.C. (2005). Worth of electronic portfolios on education majors: A ‘two by four’ perspective. Journal of Educational Technology Systems, 33(4), 399 – 419.
- Beresford, W. & Cobham, D. (2011). Undergraduate students: Interactive, online experiences and eportfolio development. Proceedings from IEEE International Conference on Information and Education Technology (ICIET 2011), Guiyang, China.
- Brown, D. (1998). New Ways of Classroom Assessment, revised. TESOL Press.
- Brown, D. & Hudson, T. (1998). The alternatives in language assessment. TESOL Quarterly, 32(4), 653-675. https://doi.org/10.2307/3587999.
- Canada, M. (2002). Assessing e-folios in the online class. New Directions for Teaching and Learning 91, 69-75. https://www.learntechlib.org/p/96922/.
- Challis, D. (2005). Towards the mature ePortfolio: Some implications for higher education. Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology, 31(3). http://dx.doi.org/10.21432/T2MS41.
- Coutinho, C. & Bottentuit, J. (2008b). The use of Web 2.0 tools to develop eportfolios in a teacher training program: An exploratory survey. Proceedings of 53th World Assembly of the International Council on Education for Teaching. University of Minho. Doi: 10.4018/jwltt.2012010101.
- Craig, C. J. (2003). School portfolio development: A teacher knowledge approach. Journal of Teacher Education, 54(2), 122-134. Doi: 10.1177/0022487102250286.
- Doukakis, S. (2006). The Contribution of Portfolios and Eportfolios to the Teaching of Mathematical Concepts in Lyceum. In V. Katsargyris, E. Panagiotou, A. Demis, C. Milionis, I. Zachos, I. Ligatsikas, & E. Karagounis (Eds.) The Teaching of Mathematics at the Lyceum. Proceedings of the Scientific Conference (pp. 115-122). Athens, Varvakis School.
- Fotopoulou, C. (2012). EPortfolio as an educational tool in Secondary Education. Diploma Thesis, University of Piraeus.
- Galanou, A. (2007). Student Electronic Folder eportfolio. Diploma thesis, University of Piraeus.
- Hallam, G. C. & Creagh, T. (2010). ePortfolio use by university students in Australia: A review of the Australian ePortfolio Project. Higher Education Research and Development, 29(2), 179-193. https://doi.org/10.1080/07294360903510582.
- Health, M. (2005). Are you ready to go digital? The pros and cons of electronic portfolio development. Library Media Connection, 23(7), 66-70.
- Knight, E., Hakel, D. & Gromko, M. (2006). The Relationship between Electronic Portfolio Participation and Student Success. Presented at Association for Institutional Research Annual Forum. Retrieved April 22, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/63672/.
- Lorenzo, G. & Ittelson, J. (2005). An overview of eportfolios. Educause Learning Initiative, Paper 1.
- Love, T. & Cooper, T. (2004). Designing online information systems for portfolio-based assessment: Design criteria and heuristics. Journal of Information Technology Education, 3, 65-81.
- Meyer, C. (1992). What's the difference between authentic and performance assessment? Educational Leadership, 49, 39-40.
- McMillan, JH (2004). Classroom assessment: principles and practice for effective instruction, 3rd edn. MA: Pearson, Boston.
- O’Malley, J., Pierce, L. (1996). Authentic Assessment for English Language Learning: Practical Approaches for Teachers. New York: Addison-Wesley Publishing.
- Papathanasiou, G. & Manousou, E. (2011). The Student Digital Folder (PSF) as a tool for implementing complementary distance learning school education. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Open & Distance Education, 6, 153-165.
- Papacharalambous, P. (2008). ELearning support using ePortfolio. Diploma Thesis, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
- Paris, S. & Ayres, L. (1994). Becoming Reflective Students and Teachers with Portfolios and Authentic Assessment. Washington: American Psychological Association.
- Parker, M., Ndoye, A., Ritzhaupt, A. (2012). Qualitative Analysis of Student Perceptions of Eportfolios in a Teacher Education Program. Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education, 28(3), 99-107. Retrieved September 5, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/55484/.
- Ritzhaupt, A., Singh, O. & Seyferth, T. (2008). Development of the electronic portfolio student perspective instrument: an eportfolio integration initiative. Journal of Computing in Higher Education, 19(2), 47–71.
- Segers, R. (1999). Assessment in student – centered education: does it make a difference? Uniscene Newsletter, 2, 6 – 9.
- Sofos, A., & Liapi, B. (2007). The Importance of New Technologies and Conceptual Mapping in the Creation of an Eportfolio of Digital Work: A New Challenge. Proceedings of the 4th Pan-Hellenic Conference of ICT Teachers Utilization of Information and Communication Technologies in the Teaching Act. Syros.
- Sotiropoulos, G. (2012). Utilizing e-Learning with specialized scripts for using the Mahara system in Medical Education. Postgraduate Diploma, National Technical University of Athens.
- Strudler, N., & Wetzel, K. (2005). The diffusion of electronic portfolios in teacher education: Issues of initiation and implementation. Journal of Research on technology in Education, 37(4), 411-433.
- Stylianou, M. (2013). ePortfolio Assessment. Postgraduate Diploma, Open University of Cyprus.
- Tosh, D., Light, T. P., Fleming, K., & Haywood, J. (2005). Engagement with electronic portfolios: Challenges from the student perspective. Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology, 31(3), 1-15.
- Tsagari, D. (2011). Investigating the assessment literacy of EFL state school teachers in Greece. In Tsagari, D. & I. Csépes (eds.) Classroom-based language assessment (pp. 169-190). Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang.
- Tsoutsou, D. & Birtsou, S. (2013). An Experimental Study on the Utilization of the E-Portfolio of Primary Education. Proceedings of the 7th Panhellenic Conference of Informatics Teachers, Informatics in Primary and Secondary Education - Challenges and Prospects. Thessaloniki.
- Wade, A., Abrami, C. & Sclater, J. (2005). An electronic portfolio to support learning. Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology, 31(3).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.