Causes of Problems Students Face While Learning Turkish as a Foreign Language: The Case of Kazakhstan
The European Educational Researcher, Volume 1, Issue 1, June 2018, pp. 17-33
OPEN ACCESS VIEWS: 223 DOWNLOADS: 221 Publication date: 15 Jun 2018
OPEN ACCESS VIEWS: 223 DOWNLOADS: 221 Publication date: 15 Jun 2018
This study is designed to determine the causes of the problems that Kazakh students face when learning Turkish as a foreign language. The study group consists of 40 students at A2 level who studied Turkish at a private university in Kazakhstan during the 2016-2017 academic year. A Likert-type questionnaire consisting of 27 items was used to collect the data. The survey, which was organized in four parts; reading, speaking, listening and writing, included expressions regarding the causes of problems students are experiencing. The obtained data was analyzed by MS Excel and SPSS programs. Students’ opinions about the causes of the problems in learning Turkish language were presented as graphs and t-test analysis was conducted to reveal gender differences. As a result, it has been seen that the students definitely participated in some of the expressions which were determined as the cause of problems they encounter and they did not participate in some of the identified causes. However, it has emerged that students are often neutral against the identified problems. On the other hand, while boys and girls have similar opinions about the causes of problems in reading and speaking, it has been determined that girls statistically agreed more than boys about the identified causes of problems in listening and writing.
Teaching Turkish Language, Teaching Turkish to Foreigners, Turkish Language Skills, Problems in Teaching Turkish
Ozdemir, C. (2018). Causes of Problems Students Face While Learning Turkish as a Foreign Language: The Case of Kazakhstan. The European Educational Researcher, 1(1), 17-33. https://doi.org/10.31757/euer.112
- Abdelmadjid, A. B. (1978), La Pedagogie du Francais Langue Etrangere, Hachette, Paris.
- Arslan, M. & Sasmaz, A. (2016). Yurt Disinda Yasayan Turk Cocuklarinin Ana Dili Kullanimi ve Kultur Acisindan Karsilastiklari Sorunlar: Bosna Hersek Ornegi [Mother Language Use of Turkish Children Living Abroad and Problems Faced Relating to Culture: Bosnia and Herzegovina Sample], International Journal of Languages’ Education and Teaching, 4(1), 180-195.
- Bolukbas, F., & Keskin, F. (2010). Yabanci Dil Olarak Turkce Ogretiminde Metinlerin Kultur Aktarimindaki İslevi[The Function of Texts in Transferring of Culture in Teaching Turkish as a Foreign Language]. Turkish Studies -International Periodical for the Languages, Literature and History of Turkish or Turkic, 5(4) 221-235.
- Budak, Y. (2000). Sozcuk Ogretimi ve Sozlugun Islevi [Vocabulary Teaching and Speech Function], Dil Dergisi, 92, 19-25
- Chomsky, N. (2001). Dil ve Zihin [Language and Mind] (Trans. by Ahmet Kocaman), Genisletilmis Basim [Expanded Edition], Ankara: Ayrac Yayinevi.
- Cross, D. (1995). Language Teacher Preparation in Developing Countries: Structuring Pre-Service Teacher Training Programmes. English Teaching Forum, 33(4), 35.
- Cummins, J. (2001). Bilingual children’s mother tongue: Why is it important for education. Sprogforum, 19, 15-20.
- Celebi, M. D. (2006). Turkiye’de anadili egitimi ve yabanci dil ogretimi [Mother-tongue education and foreign language teaching in Turkey]. Erciyes University Faculty of Education Social Sciences Journal, 21(2), 285-307.
- Cetin, M. ve Polat, Z. (2011). İki Dilli Ortamlarda Turkiye Turkcesinin Ogretimi (Semerkand Orneginde) [Education of Turkey Turkish in the Bilingual Environment (Samarkand Sample)]. 1st International Conference on Foreign Language Teaching and Applied Linguistics, May 5-7 Sarajevo, p. 1373
- Demirel, O. (2003). Yabanci Dil Ogretimi [Foreign Language Teaching], Ankara: Pegem Yayincilik.
- Demirel, O. (2010). Yabanci Dil Ogretimi [Foreign Language Teaching], Ankara: Pegem Yayincilik.
- Dogan, Y. (2014). Yabancilara Turkce kelime ogretiminde market brosurlerinden yararlanma [Use of market brochures in teaching Turkish words to foreigners]. Journal of Language and Linguistic Studies, 10(1), 89-98.
- Donitsa‐Schmidt, S., Inbar, O., & Shohamy, E. (2004). The effects of teaching spoken Arabic on students' attitudes and motivation in Israel. The Modern Language Journal, 88(2), 217-228.
- Doughty, C. J. & Long, M. H. (2005). The Handbook of Second Language Acquisition. Malden: Blackwell Puplishing.
- Dornyei, Z. (2005). The Psycology of the Language Learner. London: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Durmuscelebi, M. (2013). Anadilde okuma becerilerinin ikinci dilde okumaya etkilerinin incelenmesi. The Journal of Academic Social Science Studies, 6(4), 817-835.
- Engin, A. O. (2006). Yabanci dil (Ingilizce) ogretiminde ogrenci basarisini etkileyen degiskenler [Factors affecting student achievement in foreign language (English) teaching]. Ataturk University Journal of Social Sciences Institute, 8(2), 287- 310.
- Er, A. (2005). Yabanci dil ogretiminde "okuma". Kâzim Karabekir Egitim Fakultesi
- Dergisi, 12, 208-218
- Er, O., Bicer, N. & Bozkirli, K. C. (2012). Yabancilara Turkce Ogretiminde Karsilasilan Sorunlarin Ilgili Alan Yazini Isiginda Degerlendirilmesi [Assessment of Problems Encountered in Teaching Turkish to Foreigners in the light of litersture], International Turkish Literature Culture Education (TEKE) Journal, 1(2), 59-60.
- Erkan, A. G. (1999). Dort Temel Dil Becerisi Uzerine [About Four Basic Language Skills]. Dil Dergisi, 76.
- Graham, S. (2006). Listening comprehension: The learners’ perspective. System, 34, 165–182.
- Gogus, B. (1978). Orta Dereceli Okullarimizda Turkce ve Yazin Egitimi [Teaching Turkish and Literature in Secondary Schools]. Ankara: Gul Yayinevi.
- Guzel, A. & Barin, E. (2016). Yabanci dil olarak Turkce ogretimi (2. Baski) [Teaching Turkish as a foreign language (2nd Ed.)]. Ankara: Akcag Yayincilik.
- Ilter, I. (2014). Kelime öğretiminde grafik düzenleyicileri (frayer modeli örneği). Turkish Studies,
- 9(3), 755-770.
- Karadag, F. B. (2107). Turkceyi Yabanci Dil Olarak Ogrenen Ogrencilerin Anlama-Anlatma Becerilerine Yonelik Bir Eylem Arastirmasi [An Action Study on comprehension -Narration Skills of Students who learn Turkish as a second Language]. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Erciyes University.
- Karatay, H. (2004). İlkogretim ikinci kademede Turkce ders kitaplarinin ortak kelime kazandirma yonunden degerlendirilmesi [Evaluation of Turkish textbooks in terms of common vocabulary in the second stage of elementary education]. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Ankara: Gazi University.
- Karatay, H. (2007). Kelime ogretimi [Vocabulary teaching]. Gazi University Journal of Gazi Educational Faculty, 27(1), 141-153.
- Karip, E. (2007). Sinif Yonetimi [Classroom Management]. Ankara:Pegema Yayincilik.
- Kocaman, O. & Kizilkaya Cumaoglu, G. (2014). Yabanci dilde kelime ogrenme stratejileri olceginin gelistirilmesi [Developing a Scale for Vocabulary Learning Strategies in Foreign Languages]. Education and Science, 39(176), 293-303.
- Korkmaz, Z. (1992). Gramer Terimleri Sozlugu [Grammar Terms Dictionary]. Ankara: TDK Yayinlari.
- Kuzeci, D. (2007). Yabanci Dil Ogretiminde Genel Becerilerin Kazandirilmasi [Teaching General Skills in Foreign Language Teaching]. Selcuk University Faculty of Arts and Sciences Journal of Social Sciences, 18, 13-27
- Lightbown, P. M. & Nina, S. (2004). How Languages Are Learned. Oxford: Oxford University Pres.
- Littlewood, W. (2001). Foreign and second language learning; language acquisition research and its implications for the classroom. (15th Ed). Cambridge Univesity Press.
- Nikolov, M. (1999).’Why do you learn Englisch?’ ‘Because the teacher is short.’ A
- study of Hungarian children’s foreign language learning motivation. Language teaching Research, 3, 33-56.
- Ozbay, M. (1995). Ankara Merkez Ortaokullarindaki Ucuncu Sinif Ogrencilerinin Yazili
- Anlatim Becerileri Uzerine Bir Arastirma [A Research on Written Expression Skills of Third Grade Students in Ankara Central Secondary Schools], Unpublished Master's Thesis, Gazi University, Ankara.
- Ozbay, M. ve Melanlioglu, D. (2008). Turkce egitiminde kelime hazinesinin onemi [The importance of vocabulary in Turkish education]. Yuzuncu Yil University Journal of Education Faculty, 1, 30-45.
- Ozer, B. & Korkmaz, C. (2016) Yabanci Dil Ogretiminde Ogrenci Basarisini Etkileyen Unsurlar [Factors Affecting Student Success in Foreign Language Teaching], EKEV Academy Journal, 20(67), 59-84.
- Patricia, A. & Richard, A. (1988). Making It Happen. New York: Longman.
- Polat, Y. (2002). Yabanci dil olarak Turkce ogretiminde konusma becerisinin gelistirilmesi ve edim sozler [Developing the speaking skill of Turkish as a foreign language and saying actions]. Anadili Dil Kulturu ve Egitim Dergisi, 62-75.
- Senemoglu, O. (1983). Yabanci Dil Ogretiminde Dil Duzeyleri Sorunsali [Language Levels Problem in Foreign Language Teaching]. Special Issue of Turkish Language Teaching, 379-380.
- Server, S. (2000). Turkce Ogretimi ve Tam Ogrenme, Gelistirilmis Ucuncu Baski [Turkish Teaching and Full Learning, Improved Third Edition], Ankara: Ani Yayincilik.
- Stevenson, H. W. (1984). Orthography and Reading Disabilities. Journal of learning
- Disabilities, 17 (5), 296-301.
- Sahin, Y. (2007). Yabanci Dil Ogretiminde Egitbilimsel ve Dilbilimsel Temelleri [Educational and Linguistic Foundations in Foreign Language Teaching]. Journal of Social Sciences Institute, 1, 465-470.
- Simsek, P. (2011). Yabancilara Turkce ogretiminde okuma metinleri ve yardimci okuma
- kitaplari uzerine bir arastirma [A research on reading texts and assistant reading books in teaching Turkish as foreign language]. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Afyon Kocatepe University.
- Tekin, H. (1980). Okullarimizdaki Turkce Ogretimi [Teaching Turkish in Schools], Ankara, Mars Matbaasi.
- Tuncel, H. (2013). Yabanci dil olarak Turkce (ydt) Baslangic Seviyesi Ogrencilerinin Yazim Yanlislari [Turkish as a foreign language (ydt) Writing mistakes of beginner level students]. The Journal of Academic Social Science Studies, 6(3), 731.
- Yildirim, A. & Simsek, H. (2011). Sosyal bilimlerde nitel arastirma yontemleri [Qualitative research methods in the social sciences]. Ankara: Seckin Yay.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.