Use of Digital Technologies in Secondary Schools in the City of Nampula – Mozambique
The European Educational Researcher, Volume 1, Issue 1, June 2018, pp. 57-75
OPEN ACCESS VIEWS: 296 DOWNLOADS: 108 Publication date: 15 Jun 2018
OPEN ACCESS VIEWS: 296 DOWNLOADS: 108 Publication date: 15 Jun 2018
The article addresses an exploratory study that took place in May and June of 2017 in the fourteen public secondary schools in Nampula city, north of Mozambique. The study aimed to understand how digital technologies as a whole are used in the teaching and learning process of Nampula city secondary schools. In order to collect data in schools, it was used on-site observation and interviewed fifteen ICT teachers from the respective schools. In order to understand and validate the data, it was used the confrontation of the curricular objectives of the ICT discipline with the data collected in the schools, regarding not only the modality of teaching of the ICT discipline but also about the good practices of the teachers in what is refers to the use of educational software / learning objects in the teaching and learning process of other disciplines. The results indicate that despite the efforts of the Ministry of Education and Human Development to equip secondary schools with computers, interactive whiteboards and the Internet; 12 of 14 schools theoretically teach ICT for lack of computers, and there are even schools that do not teach the discipline. Therefore, the scenario is two groups of students who complete high public school with different amounts of subjects and without any practical knowledge of ICT that compromises the curricular objectives and consequently the quality of the graduated student.
Digital technologies, Educational software, Learning objects, Teaching quality, Teaching and learning process
Caetano, G. A., & Zaro, M. (2018). Use of Digital Technologies in Secondary Schools in the City of Nampula – Mozambique. The European Educational Researcher, 1(1), 57-75. https://doi.org/10.31757/euer.115
- Becker, F. (2003). A origem do conhecimento e a aprendizagem escolar [The origin of knowledge and school learning]. Artmed Editora. Porto Alegre.
- Behar, P. A. (2013). Competências em educação a distância [Competences in distance education]. Penso Editora.
- Behar, P. A. (2009). Modelos pedagógicos em educação a distância [Pedagogical models in distance education]. Artmed Editora. Porto Alegre.
- Bohrz, R. &, Campos, M. B. (2013). Possibilidades de uso de software educacional no processo de ensino e aprendizagem do aluno surdo [Possibilities of using educational software in the process of teaching and learning of the deaf student]. Nuevas Ideas en InformáticaEducativa TISE.Chile. Retrievedfromhttp://www.tise.cl/volumen9/TISE2013/771-774.pdf.
- Clark, R. E. (1994). Media will never influence learning: Educational technology research and development, 42(2), 21-29.
- Coughlan, S. (2015, September 15). Computers 'do not improve' pupil results, says OECD featured on the BBC [Blog post]. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34174796
- Cuban, L. (1993). How teachers taught: Constancy and change in American classrooms, 1880–1990 (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- De Oliveira, L. P. (2011). Psicologia da aprendizagem e do desenvolvimento [Psychology of learning and development]. Centro universitário de maringá. Núcleo de educação a distância, maringá – pr
- Dynarski, M., et al. (2007). Effectiveness of reading and mathematics software products: Findings from the first student cohort (NCEE 2007-4005). Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences.
- Foster, M. E., Anthony, J. L., Clements, D. H. & Sarama, J. (2016). Improving mathematics learning of kindergarten students through computer assisted instruction. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 47(3), 206–232.
- Harvey, L., & Green, D. (1993). Defining quality. Assessment & evaluation in higher education, 18(1), 9-34.
- Hogrebe, M. C., & Tate, W. F. (2012). Place, poverty, and algebra: A statewide comparative spatial analysis of variable relationships. Journal of Mathematics Education at Teachers College, 3(2), 12–24.
- INDE/MINED – Moçambique (2010), Tecnologias de Informação e Comunicação, Programa da 10ª Classe [Information and Communication Technologies, 10th Grade Program], INDE/MINED.
- INDE/MINED – Moçambique (2010), Tecnologias de Informação e Comunicação, Programa da 11ª Classe [Information and Communication Technologies, 11th Grade Program], INDE/MINED.
- INDE/MINED – Moçambique (2010), Tecnologias de Informação e Comunicação, Programa da 12ª Classe [Information and Communication Technologies, 12th Grade Program]. INDE/MINED.
- Kitchen, R. S., & Berk, S. (2016). Educational technology: An equity challenge to the Common Core. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 47(1), 3–16. doi:10.5951/jresematheduc.47.1.0003
- Kozma, R. B. (1994).” Will mídia influence learning? Reframing the debate”. Educational Technology Research and Development, 42(2), 7-19.
- Kulik, J. A., Kulik, C. C., & Bangert-Drowns, R. L. (1985). The importance of outcome studies: A reply to Clark. Educational Communications and Technology Journal, 34(1), 381-386.
- Mayer, R. E. (2002). Multimedia learning. Psychology of learning and motivation, University of California, Santa Barbara. 2002. Ed. 41, p. 85-139.
- Ministério da Educação, Instituto Nacional de Desenvolvimento da Educação (INDE), República de Moçambique. (2011). Relatório de Avaliação do Plano Estratégico para a Educação e Cultura - 2006-2010/11[Evaluation Report of the Strategic Plan for Education and Culture - 2006-2010 / 11]
- Moradmand, N., Datta, A., & Oakley, G. (2014). The Design and Implementation of an Educational Multimedia Mathematics Software: Using ADDIE to Guide Instructional System Design. The Journal of Applied Instructional Design, 4(1).
- Mozambique Government Portal. (2017). Innovation Africa 2017/ Moçambique partilha experiências sobre acesso às TICs. Retrieved from http://dev.portaldogoverno.gov.mz/ index.php/por/Imprensa/Noticias/Innovation-Africa-2017-Mocambique-partilha-experiencias-sobre-acesso-as-TICs
- Zaranis, N. (2013, July). The use of Information and Communication Technologies in the first grade of primary school for teaching rectangles based in Realistic Mathematics Education. In Information, Intelligence, Systems and Applications (IISA), 2013 Fourth International Conference on (pp. 1-6). IEEE.
- Nusir, S., Alsmadi, I., Al-Kabi, M., & Sharadgah, F. (2012). Studying the impact of using multimedia interactive programs at children ability to learn basic math skills. Acta Didactica Napocensia, 5(2), 17.
- Palangana, I. C. (2001) Desenvolvimento e aprendizagem em Piaget e Vygotsky: a relevância do social [Development and learning in Piaget and Vygotsky: the relevance of social]. 4. ed. São Paulo: Summus
- Papalia, D. E., Olds, S. W., & Feldman, R. D (2006). Desenvolvimento humano [Human development]. Porto Alegre: Artmed.
- Pascoal, J. M (2017), Aplicação do Livro Interactivo Multimédia como Objecto de Aprendizagem para Reforçar a Construção do Conhecimento na 7ª classe [Application of the Interactive Multimedia Book as a Learning Object to Reinforce the Construction of Knowledge in the 7th grade]. Universidade Pedagógica de Moçambique.
- Piaget, J. (1974). Aprendizagem e conhecimento [Learning and knowledge]. Rio de Janeiro: Freitas Bastos.
- Relatório Avaliação Nacional da 3ª classe [3rd Grade National Assessment Report] (2014), Maputo, p.3
- Relatório de Balanço do Programa Quinquenal do Governo 2010-2014[Balance Report of the Government's Five-Year Program 2010-2014]. (2015). Maputo.
- Skinner, B. F. (2006). Sobre o Behaviorismo [About Behaviorism]. São Paulo: Cultrix.
- Southern and Eastern Africa Consortium for Monitoring Education Quality. (2010).
- Tarouco, L. M. R., Costa, V. M. D., Avila, B. G., Bez, M. R., & Santos, E. F. D. (2014). Objetos de aprendizagem : teoria e prática.
- Tarouco, L. M. R., Costa, V.M., Ávila, B.G., Bez, M. R., Dos Santos, E. F. (2014). Objetos de Aprendizagem: teoria e prática [Learning Objects: theory and practice]. Porto Alegre, Editora Evangraf Ltda.
- Vygotsky, L. S. (1999). O desenvolvimento psicológico na infância [Psychological development in childhood]. São Paulo: Martins Fontes.
- Vygotsky, L. S., Luria, A. R.., Leontiev, A. N. (2010). Linguagem, desenvolvimento e aprendizagem [Language, development and learning].11ª edição, São Paulo: Ícone,
- Wiley, D. A. (2000). Learning object design and sequencing theory. Brigham Young University. Retrieved from http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/
- Zaldívar-Colado, A., Alvarado-Vázquez, R. I., & Rubio-Patrón, D. E. (2017). Evaluation of Using Mathematics Educational Software for the Learning of First-Year Primary School Students. Education Sciences, 7(4), 79.
- Ying, Z., &, Qunli, S. (2011). "Design and development of mobile learning resources based on learning object", 2011 International Conference on Electrical and Control Engineering.
- Vygotsky, L. S. (2011) Aprendizagem e desenvolvimento intelectual na idade escolar.
- Retrieved from http://www.luzimarteixeira.com.br/wpcontent/uploads/2011/03/
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.