Strengthening of Religious Character Education Based on School Culture in the Indonesian Secondary School
The European Educational Researcher, Volume 3, Issue 3, October 2020, pp. 87-100
OPEN ACCESS VIEWS: 314 DOWNLOADS: 119 Publication date: 15 Nov 2022
OPEN ACCESS VIEWS: 314 DOWNLOADS: 119 Publication date: 15 Nov 2022
This research aims to answer how the implementation of religious character education building based on school culture and conducted a successful program at SMAN 5 Yogyakarta (Yogyakarta 5 Public High School). This study is highly important to conduct since the religious character is an essential value in the learning process in Indonesia. The research subjects consisted of school principals, teachers, and students. Determination of the subjects carried out by purposive sampling. Data collection used interview, observation, and documentation. An interactively inductive data analysis technique performed data analysis with data reduction stages, data displays, and conclusion drawing. The results of the study showed that: 1) the implementation of religious character education building based on school culture was carried out through character building based on religious values, school climate based on religious values, extracurricular activities based on religious values, as well as building relationships between schools and the societies. 2) The impact of the strengthening program of character education produces two themes as follows: the growth of students’ religious awareness and the growth of tolerance among religious communities. The findings of this study indicated the importance of the school’s cultural base in implementing holistic religious character education programs in schools. This finding also strengthens the previous research findings, which had mentioned that the religious character is an essential character for students in a secondary school in Indonesia, and also strengthen that Indonesia’s society, in general, is religious people.
Character Education, Religious Value, School Culture, Secondary School
Hayati, F. N., Suyatno, S., & Susatya, E. (2020). Strengthening of Religious Character Education Based on School Culture in the Indonesian Secondary School. The European Educational Researcher, 3(3), 87-100. https://doi.org/10.31757/euer.331
- Arifin, S. (2016). Islamic religious education and radicalism in Indonesia: Strategy of de-radicalization through strengthening the living values education. Indonesian Journal of Islam and Muslim Societies, 6(1), 93–126. https://doi.org/10.18326/ijims.v6i1.93-126
- Astuti, A.D., Suyatno., & Yoyo. (2020). The Strategy of Principal In Instilling Religious Character In Muhammadiyah Elementary School. The European Educational Researcher, 3(2), 68–85. https://doi.org/10.31757/euer.323
- Azra, A. (1999). Pendidikan Islam: Tradisi dan Modernisasi Menuju Milenium Baru. Logos Wacana Ilmu.
- Azzet, A. M. (2011). Urgensi Pendidikan karakter di Indonesia. Ar-Ruzz Media.
- Berglund, J. (2009). Teaching Islam: Islamic religious education at three Muslim schools in Sweden.
- Brown, H., Woods, A. M., Hirst, E. M., & Griffith, D. H. (2006). The public construction of values in education.
- Cahyaningsih, A. P., Sukarno, & Triyanto. (2020). Strengthening of School-Based Character Education (Case Study of Full-Day School at Cemara Dua Elementary School, Surakarta). 397(Icliqe 2019), 620–628. https://doi.org/10.2991/assehr.k.200129.078
- Cassanova, J. (2003). Public Religion in The Modern World. Terj. Nafis Irkhami. Pustaka Eurek.
- Chong, S., & Cheah, H. M. (2009). A values, skills and knowledge framework for initial teacher preparation programmes. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 34(3), 1–17. https://doi.org/10.14221/ajte.2009v34n3.1
- Creswell, J. W. (2008). Educational research: Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research (3rd ed.). Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Creswell, J. W. (2013). Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches (3rd ed.). Sage.
- Fine, M., Weis, L., Weseen, S., & Wong, L. (2000). For whom? Qualitative research, representations, and social responsibilities. In N. K. D. & Y. S. Lincoln (Ed.), Handbook of Qualitative Research (2nd ed) (pp. 107–132). Sage.
- Goreti, M., & Kristiantari, R. (2019). Development of School Culture as Initial Orientation Strengthening Character Education for Primary School Students. 1–6. https://doi.org/10.4108/eai.21-11-2018.2282197
- High, I. N., Ettekal, A. V., Moore, K. L., Burkhard, B., Ferris, K. A., & Lerner, R. M. (2018). CHARACTER EDUCATION IN HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS Perspectives From Athletics Directors on a Curriculum to Promote Character Development Through Spor. Journal of Character Education, 14(1), 29–43.
- Jackson, R., & Everington, J. (2017). Teaching inclusive religious education impartially: an English perspective. British Journal of Religious Education, 39(1), 7–24. https://doi.org/10.1080/01416200.2016.1165184
- Jones, G. R. (1995). Organizational Theory: Text and Case. Addison-Wasley Publishing Company.
- Kemendiknas. (2010). Draf Pendidikan Karakter di Sekolah Dasar. Dikdasmen.
- Liamputtong, P. (2009). Qualitative research methods ((3rd ed.).). Oxford University Press.
- Lickona, T. (2004). Educating for Character, How Our Schools Can Teach Respect and Responsibility. Bantam Books.
- Lickona, T. (2018). Reflections on Robert Mcgrath’s “What Is Character Education?”. Journal of Character Education., 14(2), 49-57.
- Miles, M. B., Huberman, M. (1994). Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expended Sourcebook. Sage.
- Mulyasa. (2011). Management Pendidikan Karakter. PT. Bumi Aksara.
- Naim, N. (2011). Dasar-Dasar Komunikasi Pendidikan. Ar-Ruzz Media.
- Safitri, N. F., Setyowati, D. L., & Khafid, M. (2019). Strengthening the Character Education based on the Social Skills of Students in the Integrated Thematic Learning in Primary Schools. 8(2), 240–247. http://journal.unnes.ac.id/sju/index.php/eduman
- Simons, H. (2009). Case Study Research in Practice. Sage.
- Subaidi. (2020). Strengthening character education in Indonesia: Implementing values from moderate Islam and the Pancasila. Journal of Social Studies Education Research, 11(2), 120–132.
- Supriatiningsih, E. (2018). Ijtim ā ’ iyya : Journal of Muslim Society Research. 3(2), 262–280.
- Suyatno., Jumintono., Pambudi, D.I., Mardati, A. & Wantini. (2019). Strategy of Values Education In Indonesian Education System. International Journal of Instruction, 12(1), 607–624.
- Suyatno, Pambudi, D. I., Mardati, A., Wantini, Nuraini, E., & Yoyo. (2019). The education values of Indonesian teachers: Origin, importance, and its impact on their teaching. International Journal of Instruction, 12(3), 633–650. https://doi.org/10.29333/iji.2019.12338a
- Zuchdi, D. (2010). Pendidikan Karakter dengan Pendekatan Komprehensif. UNY Press.
- Zuriah, N. (2006). Pendidikan Moral dan Budi Pekerti. Bumi aksara.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.