Investigation of the Turkish Cultural Adaptation of International Students Living in Turkey
The European Educational Researcher, Volume 4, Issue 2, June 2021, pp. 167-181
OPEN ACCESS VIEWS: 363 DOWNLOADS: 168 Publication date: 15 Jun 2021
OPEN ACCESS VIEWS: 363 DOWNLOADS: 168 Publication date: 15 Jun 2021
In this study, the cultural adaptations of international students studying in Samsun in acculturation processes were examined. The cultural problems that international students inevitably face affect their adaptation to the countries they host. To investigate the effects of the international students' some variables on the cultural adaptation in the context of Turkey constitutes the main objective of this study. In the study, it was examined whether the cultural adaptation levels of international students vary according to gender, place of residence, academic achievement level, education level, faculty they attend, and their age. Within the scope of the research, 670 foreign students participated in this study. According to the research results, the general adaptation level of the students is medium. While the participants' age is a factor affecting cultural adaptation, the students' cultural adaptation does not change according to their gender, place of residence, level of education, academic performance, and the faculties they attend.
Academic Achievement, Adaptation Problems, Cultural Difference, Foreign Student
Gökalp, M., Eynullayeva, K., & Hatunoglu, B. Y. (2021). Investigation of the Turkish Cultural Adaptation of International Students Living in Turkey. The European Educational Researcher, 4(2), 167-181. https://doi.org/10.31757/euer.422
- Arslan, M. (2012). Ziya Gökalp’te kültür ve uygarlık[Culture and civilization in Ziya Gökalp]. İstanbul Üniversitesi Sosyoloji Dergisi, 3(10), 11–19.
- Aydın, O. T. (2020). Social interaction between students: Local and international students’ experiences at a Turkish university. Journal of International Students, 10(2), 383–400. https://doi.org/10.32674/jis.v10i2.1067
- Başaran, İ. E. (1992). Eğitim psikolojisi: Modern eğitimin psikolojik temelleri[Educational psychology: Psychological foundations of modern education] (12. Editio). Kadıoğlu.
- Böhm, A., Follari, M., Hewett, A., Jones, S., Kemp, N., Meares, D., Pearce, D., & Cauter, K. Van. (2004).
- Forecasting international student mobility a UK perspective Vision 2020. www.universitiesuk.orgwww.idp.org
- Byram, M. (1989). Cultural studies in foreign language education (Vol. 46). Multilingual Matters.
- Çetin, Y., Bahar, M., & Griffiths, C. (2017). International students’ views on local culture: Turkish experience. Journal of International Students, 7(3), 467–478. https://doi.org/10.32674/jis.v7i3.204
- Erdoğan, A. (2010). Tanzimat Döneminde Yurtdışına Öğrenci Gönderme Olgusu ve Osmanlı Modernleşmesine Etkileri [The Phenomenon of Sending Students Abroad During the Tanzimat Period and Its Effects on
- Ottoman Modernization]. İstanbul Üniversitesi Sosyoloji Dergisi, 3(20), 121–151. http://tjs.istanbul.edu.tr/wpcontent/uploads/2015/10/20-2.pdf
- Fidan, N., & Erden, M. (1994). Eğitime giriş [Introduction to education]. Meteksan Anonim Şirketi.
- Fraenkel, J. R., Wallen, N. E., & Hyun, H. H. (2012). How to design and evaluate research in education. McGrawhill New York.
- Gebru, M. S., & Yuksel-Kaptanoglu, I. (2020). Adaptation Challenges for International Students in Turkey. Open
- Journal of Social Sciences, 08(09), 262–278. https://doi.org/10.4236/jss.2020.89021
- Gökalp, Z. (1994). Türkçülüğün esasları[Fundamentals of Turkism] (Vol. 42). İnkilap Yayınları.
- Güçlü, N. (1996). Yabancı öğrencilerin uyum problemleri. Hacettepe Egitim Dergisi, 12(12), 101–110.
- Hanassab, S. (2006). Diversity, international students, and perceived discrimination: Implications for educators and counselors. Journal of Studies in International Education, 10(2), 157–172. https://doi.org/10.1177/1028315305283051
- Heikinheimo, P. S., & Shute, J. C. (1986). The adaptation of foreign students: Student views and institutional implications. Journal of College Student Personnel.
- Karaoğlu, F. (2007). Yabancı uyruklu öğrencilerde uyma davranışı: TÖMER örneği [Adaptation behavior in foreign students: TÖMER example]. Unpublished Master’s Thesis, Gazi University, Institute of Social Sciences, Ankara.
- Kıroğlu, K., Kesten, A., & Elma, C. (2010). Türkiye’de Öğrenim Gören Yabancı Uyruklu Lisans Öğrencilerinin Sosyo- Kültürel ve Ekonomik Sorunları[Studying Socio-Cultural and Economic Problems of Foreign Graduate Students in Turkey]. Mersin University Journal of the Faculty of Education, 6(2), 26–39. https://doi.org/10.17860/efd.12181
- Kim, H.-Y. (2013). Statistical notes for clinical researchers: assessing normal distribution (2) using skewness and kurtosis. Restorative Dentistry & Endodontics, 38(1), 52. https://doi.org/10.5395/rde.2013.38.1.52
- Kylo, P. M., & Chumba, R. J. (2011). Selected factors influencing social and academic adjustment of undergraduate students of egerton university; Njoro Campus. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(18), 274–290.
- Lee, J. J. (2010). International students’ experiences and attitudes at a US host institution: Self-reports and future recommendations. Journal of Research in International Education, 9(1), 66–84. https://doi.org/10.1177/1475240909356382
- Nasir, M. (2012). Effects of cultural adjustment on academic achievement of international students. Journal of Elementary Education, 22(2), 95–103. http://pu.edu.pk/images/journal/JEE/PDF-Files/Article No. 7_V22_2_12.pdf
- Oberg, K. (1954). Culture Shock. Bobbs-Merrill.
- http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2016.06.001%0Ahttp://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2016.12.055%0Ahttps://d oi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2019.02.006%0Ahttps://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2019.04.024%0Ahttps://doi.org/10. 1016/j.matlet.2019.127252%0Ahttp://dx.doi.o
- OECD. (2020). Education at a Glance 2020. In The SAGE Encyclopedia of Higher Education.
- Özçetin, S. (2013). Yüksek Öğrenim Gören Yabancı Uyruklu Öğrencilerin Sosyal Uyumlarını Etkileyen Etmenler [Factors Affecting the Social Adaptation of Higher Education Foreign Students]. Unplublished Master Thesis.
- Ankara University.
- Paksoy, H. M., Paksoy, S., & Özçalıcı, M. (2012). Türkiye’de yüksek öğrenim gören yabancı uyruklu öğrencilerin sosyal sorunlari: GAP bölgesi üniversiteleri örneği [Social problems of foreign students those having higher education in Turkey: A sample from universities in GAP region]. Kahramanmaraş Sütçü İmam Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, 2(2), 85–94.
- Pallant, J. (2007). SPSS survival manual. McGraw-Hill Education (UK).
- Pedersen, P. B. (1991). Counseling international students. The Counseling Psychologist, 19(1), 10–58.
- Peifer, J. S., & Yangchen, T. (2017). Exploring Cultural Identity, Personality, and Social Exposure Correlates to
- College Women’s Intercultural Competence. SAGE Open, 7(2). https://doi.org/10.1177/2158244017710493
- Rienties, B., Beausaert, S., Grohnert, T., Niemantsverdriet, S., & Kommers, P. (2012). Understanding academic performance of international students: The role of ethnicity, academic and social integration. Higher Education, 63(6), 685–700. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10734-011-9468-1
- Rienties, B., & Tempelaar, D. (2013). The role of cultural dimensions of international and Dutch students on academic and social integration and academic performance in the Netherlands. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 37(2), 188–201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijintrel.2012.11.004
- Schmader, T., Major, B., & Gramzow, R. H. (2001). Coping with ethnic stereotypes in the academic domain:
- Perceived injustice and psychological disengagement. Journal of Social Issues, 57(1), 93–111. https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-4537.00203
- Senemoğlu, N. (2004). Gelişim öğrenme ve öğretim [Developmental learning and teaching]. Gönül Yayıncılık.
- Shin, M., & Lee, J. Y. (2021). Stress of Cultural Adaption Perceived by International Students Living in South Korea – Focused on Q Methodology. Annals of R.S.C.B., 25(1), 1433–1442.
- Snoubar, Y., & Celik, G. (2013). Cultural Differences of International Students in Turkey and Problems they Experience. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 106, 759–766. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.12.087
- Sodowsky, G., & Plake, B. (1992). An investigation into acculturation options of international people and implications for sensitivity to within group differences. Journal of Counseling & Development, 71, 53–59.
- Spencer-Oatey, H. (2012). What is Culture? A compilation of quotations.
- Sungur, M. A., Şahin, M., Can, G., Şahin, M. F., Duman, K., Pektaş, B., Doğan, S., Alkan, A. Ö., & Onuk, H.
- (2016). Düzce üniversitesinde yükseköğrenim gören yabancı uyruklu öğrencilerin yaşam doyumları ve sosyal uyumlarını etkileyen faktörler [Factors affecting the life satisfaction and social adaptation of foreign students studying at Düzce University]. Düzce Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü Dergisi, 6(2), 101–109. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/duzcesbed/issue/24384/258501
- Şeker, B. D. (2015). Göç ve Uyum Süreci: Sosyal Psikolojik Bir Değerlendirme [Migration and Integration
- Process: A Social Psychological Assessment]. In Göç ve Uyum (pp. 9–21). Transnational Press London.
- Ward, C., & Masgoret, A. (2004). The experiences of international students in New Zealand.
- YOK. (2021). Yükseköğretim Bilgi Yönetim Sistemi[Higher Education Information Management System].
- YTB. (2012). Türkiye Bursları [Turkey scholarships]. https://www.ytb.gov.tr/uluslararasi-ogrenciler/turkiyeburslari
- Zhou, J., & Cole, D. (2017). Comparing international and American students: involvement in college life and overall satisfaction. Higher Education, 73(5), 655–672. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10734-016-9982-2
- Zhou, Y., Jindal-Snape, D., & Topping & John Todman, K. (2008). Studies in Higher Education Theoretical models of culture shock and adaptation in international students in higher education Theoretical models of culture shock and adaptation in international students in higher education. 33(1), 63–75. https://doi.org/10.1080/03075070701794833
- Zhou, Y., Jindal-Snape, D., Topping, K., & Todman, J. (2008). Theoretical models of culture shock and adaptation in international students in higher education. Studies in Higher Education, 33(1), 63–75.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.